Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Winter Storm Warning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Winter Storm Warning

    Winter Storm Warning

    URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN
    328 PM EST WED JAN 31 2007

    ...SIGNIFICANT SNOW OR A MIX OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION EXPECTED LATE
    TONIGHT INTO THURSDAY NIGHT...

    .A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP OVER THE GULF COAST
    STATES TONIGHT AND SPREAD A MIX OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION NORTHWARD
    INTO THE TENNESSEE VALLEY AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS ON THURSDAY.

    THE INITIAL FORM OF PRECIPITATION SHOULD BE SNOW...THEN A MIX OF SNOW
    ...SLEET...FREEZING RAIN OR RAIN WILL BE POSSIBLE AT TIMES INTO
    THURSDAY EVENING. AREAS ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM OAK RIDGE
    TO GREENVILLE WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING MOSTLY SNOW AND
    SLEET. THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS OF SNOW SHOULD OCCUR IN THE MOUNTAINS
    ALONG THE TENNESSEE AND NORTH CAROLINA LINE...THE CUMBERLAND PLATEAU
    AND ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF SOUTHWESTERN VIRGINIA. SOME LIGHT
    ICING MAY ACCUMULATE...BETWEEN 1/10 AND 1/4 INCH...FROM ANY PERIODS
    OF SLEET AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN...MAINLY IN THE WARNING AREAS. ANY
    ICE ACCUMULATIONS IN THE ADVISORY AREAS SHOULD BE VERY LIGHT AND
    MOSTLY LESS THAN 1/10 INCH.

    THERE MAY BE A BREAK IN THE WINTRY PRECIPITATION THURSDAY EVENING...
    BEFORE ANOTHER DISTURBANCE BRINGS ADDITIONAL SNOW OR LIGHT MIXED
    PRECIPITATION TO THE REGION INTO FRIDAY MORNING. THUS...BE SURE TO
    CHECK ROAD CONDITIONS AND THE LATEST FORECASTS BEFORE TRAVELING
    THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

    STAY TUNED TO THIS STATION FOR LATER FORECASTS AND STATEMENTS FROM
    YOUR NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.

    TNZ012>014-035-VAZ001-002-005-006-008-010430-
    /O.UPG.KMRX.WS.A.0002.070201T0900Z-070202T0500Z/
    /O.NEW.KMRX.WS.W.0001.070201T0900Z-070202T0500Z/
    SCOTT TN-CAMPBELL-CLAIBORNE-MORGAN-LEE-WISE-SCOTT-RUSSELL-
    WASHINGTON-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ONEIDA...LA FOLLETTE...TAZEWELL...
    WARTBURG...JONESVILLE...WISE...GATE CITY...LEBANON...ABINGDON
    328 PM EST WED JAN 31 2007

    ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT
    EST THURSDAY NIGHT...

    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER
    STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT
    EST THURSDAY NIGHT. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN
    EFFECT.

    A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW AND SLEET WILL DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT AND LAST
    INTO THURSDAY EVENING. THERE MAY BE A MIX WITH LIGHT FREEZING RAIN
    OR RAIN AT TIMES...BUT SNOW AND SLEET SHOULD MOSTLY OCCUR.

    TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING MAY TOTAL FROM 2
    TO 5 INCHES...WITH ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND 1/10 INCH ALSO
    POSSIBLE.

    A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE
    EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...SLEET...
    AND/OR FREEZING RAIN ARE EXPECTED...CAUSING HAZARDOUS DRIVING
    CONDITIONS. TRAVEL IS DISCOURAGED. IF TRAVEL IS UNAVOIDABLE...
    KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN
    CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    If we can get some good snow out of this and it not melt away much heading into Saturday when a couple of weaker systems moving through late Saturday and Sunday then on Monday, and put down at least a little snow accumulation with those, we could develop a bit of a snow pack into next week. That along with some really cold air coming in. Any snow on the ground may drop those temps a bit more than forecasted too. Right now, we could see lows in the lower teens and single digits through Wednesday and with some snow on the ground some could go below zero a morning or two. Tuesday's highs may not reach 20. Oh, and another front may move through late Wednesday.

    May see some snow showers Friday behind these systems on Thursday too.

    Quite a change from that really warm winter we were having, huh?

  3. #3
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    Wow. Yeah quite a change.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    I'll believe a good snow when I see one

    Its been awhile and honestly, even if I have to risk life and limb, I'd like to see a good one. A good snow tends to bring out a good mood in me, even if I am cold. Reminds me of childhood I guess.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    You must not be my age for you to remember your childhood. Just kidding. Snow is pretty, it helps hide all the ugly. Maybe I should cover myself in snow.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

  6. #6
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    [ QUOTE ]
    Snow is pretty, it helps hide all the ugly. Maybe I should cover myself in snow

    [/ QUOTE ]
    LMAO! I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!

    Tonight: A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly after 3am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 26. South wind between 5 and 10 mph. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

    Thursday: Periods of snow, mixing with rain after noon. High near 30. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

    Thursday Night: Periods of snow, mainly before 11pm. Low around 29. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

    Friday: A chance of snow and freezing rain before 11am, then a chance of rain and snow between 11am and noon, then a chance of snow after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. West wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

    Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. West wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.


    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member True_Loser's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    I think that Wise and Dickenson County are already on a delay, but as soon as they see the first drop they'll close. Has anyone heard anything about MECC? save me from gettin up in the a.m.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    The last "BIG" snow I can remember was in 2003, I had Kidney Stones and was in the hospital during this storm and it got my wife off of work for 4 or 5 days.. It was the week before Christmas..... The sad part is in December I just paid it off, it took me 3 years to pay that [censored] thing off [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...... Worst PAIN I have ever been in my life..... Back to the subject, I hope we do get a nice snow like that, it has been awhile
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    How many on here can remember the BIG snows of the mid 60's? I know retired teach can.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member retiredteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    853
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Winter Storm Warning

    Ha, Of course I can. I remember one year when I was teaching at Appy Elem., I was dating a girl from Pikeville, Ky. I went over there for the weekend and got caught coming back. That was back before all the four lanes from here to Ky. It took me 3 1/2 hours from Jenkins to Big Stone. Of course, little Donnie was too young to remember that. I had a 67 Mustang and stopped at the bottom of Jenkings Mt. and filled the trunk full of rocks, else I might not have made it.
    You can never rise above the image that you have of yourself in your own mind."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •